[W5SFA] Ending encrypted data nonsense on our ham bands

Jim Scarbrough jrscarbrough at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 5 09:05:47 CST 2019

Fellow SFA’ers,

I have never before been moved to take a stand on a ham radio issue but I’ve also never before seen the ARRL cave to the interests of a commercial entity (namely WINLINK Global Radio Email) over the interests of our hobby.  As members, they gladly accept our money to represent us but they are, IMO, clearly failing us now.

Two very basic things we learned as new hams are jeopardized by this questionable behavior:

*         The most basic philosophy that ham radio is different than all other radio services in that we are self-policing.  We are therefore granted a very special relationship with the FCC, one that is clearly placed in jeopardy by this reckless behavior.

*         No “codes or ciphers” or “encryption” may ever be used, as among other things it would obviously eliminate our ability to self-police the service.

The issue is that WINLINK, in competition with other commercial entities, offers a “private email service” primarily catering to yacht owners using encrypted data OVER THE HAM BANDS.  Their competition does not use the ham bands.  Their competition pays for their air time.  WINLINK claims a breakthrough in efficiency by using compression to appease those that might object, but they SELL “privacy” to their users.

How do they get away with what would appear to be such a clear violation of long existing Part 97 Rules?  They make an outrageously narrow interpretation of the rules that they believe state that encryption without the intent to encrypt is not encryption.  All with the ARRL’s blessing.  As parents, we wouldn’t allow such backtalk from our children, but this is exactly what has been going on for years.  They further argue that it’s not even encryption, rather it is “compression with a proprietary algorithm and key”.  I for one do not recognize the distinction.  The issue is that these compressed transmissions cannot be decoded in real time over the air like ALL OTHER transmissions on ham radio.  The result has been numerous egregious documented rule violations.

What is not the issue:

*         Analog vs. digital.  There are multitude of efficient digital modes that can be monitored in real time over the air with virtually zero incremental hardware investment and minimal investment in time and effort.  No rule violations there. This is all about ending commercial exploitation of OUR ham bands which is setting a precedent for others to follow.

Anyway, Ted N9NB, has done the heavy lifting for us to end this nonsense.  He has filed a PETITION FOR DECLARATORY RULING, requesting that the FCC definitively end this razor thin loophole in the Rules.  The more comments filed in favor of this petition, the more likely the FCC is to prioritize and favorably rule on it.  I’ve attached Ted’s recent email on this topic which contains a link to the petition itself.

Should you be willing and inclined to file a public comment, here’s the link to do so:   <https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/filings> https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/filings

I recommend selecting EXPRESS COMMENT and I’ve highlighted the required fields.  It shouldn’t take more than two minutes out of your day.

The only information you will need to do this that isn’t obvious is to type “16-239” in the Proceeding box.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Jim KE5FN

+ + +