[W5SFA] QRP Labs U3S kit report

Gilbert Franke g.a.franke at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 13:34:32 CDT 2017

I'm having a good time with my QRP Labs Ultimate3S QRSS/WSPR Transmitter.
The GPS receiver works very well to give my location and frequency
calibration.  I am heard on the WSPR network and posted on their map with
almost every beacon, at 10 minute intervals.  I haven't seen any reports
outside Canada and USA, but that is with a nominal 200 mW on 30M with an
end fed halfwave antenna about 20 feet, north / south, and SWR of 1.3:1.

You can see me on the WSPRnet.org map. Select 30M filter from lower left
corner.  Because of the slow speed (it takes about 110 seconds to transmit
my callsign, 4 character Maidenhead locator, and power!), sending the 6
character Maidenhead locator is not encouraged.  The four character locator
put me between Halletsville and Shiner.  (If it had taken me all the way to
Shiner, I would have been happy!)  When I re-configured for the full 6
character locator, I show up about 1 mile outside of Bellville!  As the
manual says, this is a limitation in the WSPR protocol, not the U3S. Does
anyone know what mode the APRS system runs? Do you think the U3S could
handle that?

I have low  pass filters for 40, 30, and 20 M, but I don't have a well
tuned antenna for 40 or 20.  I guess that is the next project!

--
​73, de Gil WB5RFQ​

----
Gilbert A Franke <http://www.gilbertfranke.com>