[W5SFA] Build Night May 31 - Some Additional Info

Roger Klein rwklein at katyweb.net
Thu Apr 6 20:41:24 CDT 2017

Gil,

For WSPR mode no additional interface is necessary, the unit will transmit with no other equipment other than a power supply (like a cell phone charger) and an antenna.  Essentially it's a beacon - it's got a microcontroller and software that does it all.  You enter items into memory (like your call sign) via the buttons on the front, via a menu system.   I think this is true for the other modes as well.  So no keyboard, since QSO's have a very structured format (so doesn't look like any spontaneous messages are possible).  From the documentation, it looks like the receiver kit works in conjunction with the transmitter kit, alternating send and receive.

Link to the operating manual is here, which might explain it better than the above:  http://www.qrp-labs.com/images/ultimate3s/operation3.12.pdf

For what you describe, you might want to get the Deluxe kit, which has most of the extras you mentioned.   Or you can build the base kit and add to it over time.

73,

Roger N5RWK