[W5SFA] Build Night - May 25, 2016

Joe Cucuzza jcucuzza at industryinet.com
Sat Apr 30 14:44:54 CDT 2016

Nice project. I suggest that you try 10, 9 volt batteries. They are 2 for a dollar at the Dollar Tree store in Brenham.  I bought 10 yesterday and they have good current drain under load.Try a dry toothbrush on the top of the chassis. I have more restoration info on the home computer. 73Joe KA8WEP

-------- Original message --------From: Gilbert Franke <g.a.franke at gmail.com> Date: 4/30/16  2:06 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: SFAustin Radio Club <w5sfa at w5sfa.org> Subject: [W5SFA] Build Night - May 25, 2016
SFA Radio Club members --

What a great idea:  Build Night!  I know that many of you are planning on Raspberry Pi projects, and that is exciting and cutting edge amateur radio technology.

I have decided to go with older technology:  1946 Silvertone battery table top radio restoration.  This radio belonged to Beth's grandfather.  I have been moving it around since shortly after we got married, intending to restore it "someday."  Well, I decided Build Night is a good reason to get started.  Actually, I have done some work on the cabinet already, making it clean and functional while still keeping the aged and worn look.

Beth and I are going to to a re-cap job on it for Build Night.  We are going to replace all the paper foil and electrolytic capacitors as the first step in the restoration of the electronics.  After that is done, we will be ready to get a 90 volt battery and test it out!  Here are some pictures.

-- ​de WB5RFQ Gil​

----Gilbert A Franke
(361 442 6008 - cell)
130 N Harris Street