[W5SFA] Projects for Build Night

Dan White dan at dandlfarms.com
Tue Apr 5 08:47:17 CDT 2016

I ordered mine today. Got the PI3, keyboard, 7” touch screen and two 12V @ 2A wall warts. One wall wart is for my new flex radio.  Dan

From: Roger Klein
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2016 8:08 PM
To: 'Mail List for the W5SFA Radio Club'
Subject: [W5SFA] Projects for Build Night

Folks,

At the last meeting we were talking about projects for our "build night" at the end of May.

If you're interested in the Raspberry Pi, it's an inexpensive, full-fledged computer about the size of a pack of cigarettes.  You can purchase a $75 kit on Amazon that includes everything you need to get started.  See http://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Complete-Starter-Kit/dp/B01C6Q2GSY/

The kit comes with a memory card that contains the operating system (a type of Linux), as well as a case and power adapter.  The Pi 3 has 4 USB ports (so you can easily connect a keyboard and mouse), an HDMI port (you can plug it into a TV or computer monitor) a network port and built-in wireless ethernet.  No tools or soldering is needed to put it together, by the way.

So what can you do with a Raspberry Pi?  For one thing, you can run a web browser or email client on it, or even use it as a web server.   For Ham Radio, people are using it for digital modes using the FLDIGI application.  If you're into Arduino microcontrollers, the Pi can run the development environment.  For other ideas, see this search.

Changing the subject somewhat, another neat project is a transistor tester, which costs about $25 including case.  I've built this, and it's a handy little device that tests transistors, resistors, capacitors, diodes, etc.    The build is fairly easy, but does require a bit of soldering.

Tester board: http://www.banggood.com/DIY-M12864-Graphics-Version-Transistor-Tester-Kit-LCR-ESR-PWM-p-986954.html

Tester case: http://www.banggood.com/Supporting-Shell-For-DIY-M12864-Graphics-Version-Transistor-Tester-Kit-p-989949.html

We can have other projects for Build Night - if you have one, please share it with the group!  That way everyone can pick what they are interested in and do it, with (hopefully) some expert help in the room.

Builders - you will need to decide on, and purchase your kit of choice prior to build night, which I believe we have scheduled for Wednesday, May 25.

73,

Roger N5RWK