[W5SFA] Inexpensive Yaesu Digital VHF Radio

Roger Klein rwklein at katyweb.net
Mon Apr 4 19:39:26 CDT 2016

Folks,

If anyone is thinking about getting a C4FM mobile digital radio compatible
with the new club repeater, Yaesu has released a new model:  the FTM-3200DR.
It's selling for $179.95 at several places online.

This is a 65-watt VHF radio that supports C4FM digital as well as analog.
It does not have the features of the more expensive models like the
FTM-100DR ($319.99) or the FTM-400XD ($649.99).  You lose GPS, there is no
support for APRS, and single band - no UHF support.  On the other hand it's
almost half the price.

One issue, however, is our digital repeater is currently hooked up to UHF,
and I don't know if it would be practical to switch the repeater to VHF.
You could only use the rig in analog VHF with our current setup.

For more info, here's a link to the Yaesu web site:

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts
<http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=249&encProdI
D=1C299659CDFD4B56DDBBA4BA23026510&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0>
&ProdCatID=249&encProdID=1C299659CDFD4B56DDBBA4BA23026510&DivisionID=65&isAr
chived=0

Here are some online vendors:

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-014731

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/fm_txvrs/3200.html

http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/ysu-ftm-3200dr

And finally, here are some reviews on eHam:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/12728

Roger N5RWK