[W5SFA] Q Codes

Cameron mitchl at mitchl.net
Tue Nov 12 11:00:22 CST 2013

>From Wikipedia:

Humorous/Unofficial codes
There are also a few unofficial and humorous codes in use[citation needed], such as QLF ("are you sending with your left foot"), QPP ("Hold on a minute, I drank a liter of water and need to use the bathroom."), and QSC ("send cigarettes", not the official meaning of "this is a cargo vessel"). In the question form, QNB?, is supposed to mean "How many buttons does your radio have?" A reply of the form QNB 45/15 means "45, and I know what 15 of them do." Another example is QLO, accepted to stand for "Quietly listening out" to indicate that one has signed out of a net, but has not ceased listening. QSJ is sometimes used to refer to the cost of something - "I would like an FT9000 but it is too much QSJ". (QSJ actually means "What is the charge to be collected to ... including your internal charge?").

      Code
     Question
     Answer or Statement

      QAS
     Are you speaking out of your ass?
     I am speaking out of my ass

      QBA
     How big is your antenna?
     My antenna is BIG!

      QBO
     Buddy, can you spare some soap?
     Don't sit next to that guy in the meeting.

      QBS
     Did I tell you about the one that got away?
     It's getting deep in here.

      QBS
     Should I clean the bird sh*t off my antenna so I can hear you
     Clean the bird sh*t off your antenna so you can hear me

      QCW
     Why are you whistling Morse?
     I am going to whistle Morse Code on FM (or SSB)

      QDR
     Do you have a Receiver? (In respone to QRL)
     Damn Right the frequency is busy! (In response to QRL)

      QET
     Has anyone called me from another planet?
     Phone home.

      QEW
     Is copy difficult due to Ear Wax?
     Copy is difficult due to Ear Wax.

      QFF
     How high are the front feet on your radio?
     My front feet are "n" high

      QFH
     Is this frequency hogged?
     This frequency is MINE! Go elsewhere.

      QHI
     Are you leaving after only one transmission?
     I am jumping in quick to say hi, then going QRT.

      QKB
     How many knobs does your radio have?
     My radio has "n" knobs.

      QKN
     How many of them do you know how to use?
     I think I know how to use "n" of them.

      QLF
     Are you sending with your left foot?
     I am sending with my left foot.

      QLK
     Are you sending with your left foot and keyboard?
     I am sending with my left foot and keyboard.

      QNO
     Are you sending through a non-standard orifice?
     I am sending through a non-standard orifice.

      QOF
     Are you an old Fart?
     Yes, I am an Old Fart.

      QOK
     Was my last transmission OK?
     Your last transmission was Okie Dokie.

      QPM
     Is my signal purr modulated?
     Your signal is purr modulated.

      QRC
     Are you a rag chewer?
     Warning, rag chewer on frequency.

      QRG
     Am I transmitting in or near an amateur band, and if so which one?
     You are transmitting in or near the ... (wave length or frequency) amateur band.

      QRW
     QRP, you are Really Weak?
     Yes, I am running QRP really weak.

      QWC