[W5SFA] End of the Line

Roger Klein rwklein at katyweb.net
Mon Jun 19 16:37:53 CDT 2023

We’re thinking there’s more than a little bit of luck involved to get a long flight.  Two of our balloons (W5SFA and KF5ZRT) have circumnavigated at least once, and I think three others have made it across the Atlantic – WA5IWB, K5FRT and N5ATH.  A lot has to do with balloon prep – I suspect Ray waves a dead chicken over the balloon, while hopping on one foot in a circle when the moon is full!

Still, there’s a lot of effort that goes into properly stretching the balloon, making sure there are no balloon defects that might cause failure, how it’s sealed, how much “free lift” is ideal – seems like the latter is around 7 grams.  On top of that there’s weather –in the summer some thunderstorms can reach as high as the balloon float altitude (around 12,000m).

One fascinating part of the flight was that the balloon went dark for a day when it passed over Ukraine.  It got some signal reports, but the GPS was garbled (probably jamming).  It also flew over North Korea twice, so those (unnamed persons) who are responsible are probably on a list for a long vacation in the gulag making gravel J

As far as I know, nothing was done differently with the W5SFA balloon than the others, although it did seem to travel more in the higher latitudes.  We’ll see how the next one goes.

Roger N5RWK