[W5SFA] New Yeasu FTDX-101D transceiver

Roger Klein rwklein at katyweb.net
Wed Oct 19 12:06:24 CDT 2022

Folks,

Here is some additional information about the new Yaesu rig – I’ve been meaning to send this out and Jim’s note reminded me.

Back in spring, 2021 there was a power spike in the Austin County courthouse that fried a lot of computers and equipment, including the ham radio room.  Both the Yaesu FT-2000 rig and VL-1000 power amplifier were damaged and not cost effective to repair.  Austin County made a claim on their insurance, and in June 2021 we were asked to provide input to the county for a replacement.  The replacement equipment was a Yaesu FTDX-101D transceiver and a Yaesu FP-1030A power supply.

Dan White picked up the new equipment from the county last month, and last week I checked it over to make sure there weren’t any problems while under warranty.  The rig itself is one of the latest on the market, with a 7-inch touch display with band scanner and lots of buttons and options.  It’s a much better radio than the FT-2000, being 10+ years newer so it has all the latest SDR features.

Next step is to deliver the equipment to the Austin County Wendt Street office, where it will be housed.  The club is being assigned a room for the equipment, near the Emergency Operations Center.

If you’re interested in finding out more about the FTDX-101D, there are a couple of Youtube videos you can check out.  They are each about 30 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4tGLN00GWk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjSQpoNCaBY <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjSQpoNCaBY&t=118s> &t=118s

I do not know when the tower will be set up at Wendt Street, so in the meantime we’ll set up a temporary antenna so the new rig can be used.  Another item on the “to do” list is to move the remaining equipment in the courthouse basement over to Wendt Street.  I expect at some point we’ll schedule a meeting at Wendt Street so everyone can check out our new room and try out the new equipment.

73,

Roger N5RWK