[W5SFA] wiresx and connection on 2/9

Roger Klein rwklein at katyweb.net
Tue Feb 9 20:32:19 CST 2021

David,

Thanks for the info!  Debugging Wires-X can be an adventure.  We need to
figure out if the problem is in your setup, or the repeater setup, or
perhaps both.  Can you let me know the following when you get a chance:

Specs on your Windows PC - CPU, memory, and Windows version in particular.
Are any other apps running along with Wires-X?  I have seen problems with
Wires-X not performing well when other apps are running on the PC.
Also, what firmware versions are on your FTM-400.  As I recall you are
up-to-date, but might be good to double check.

I suspect the problem might be which PDN mode your FTM-400 is in, since you
said you are doing a long press of the DX button.   From this, I'm guessing
you are in PDN mode.   Yaesu's terminology is very confusing with this -
there are two different Portable Digital Node functions:  PDN mode and
Portable HRI mode.  We are using the latter, not the forme.  To get into
Portable HRI mode, you have to power up the FTM-400 with the Power, DX and
GM keys pressed together.  You should hear a 5-tone do-re-mi-fa-sol as the
rig powers up, indicating it's in Portable HRI Mode.

Next, connect to the club's Wires-X room 63655 from the Wires-X software
running on the PC.  In other words, don't press any buttons on your FTM-400.
This is done by doing a Connect -> Connect To -> 63655 in the Wires-X
application.  Once this is done, you should be in the room and should be
able to key the mike and talk.

Can we do a test of the above sometime and see if the audio breakup issue
goes away or not?

73,

Roger