[W5SFA] Fw: West Gulf Division Newsletter January 2019

Dan White dan at dandlfarms.com
Sat Jan 19 19:06:34 CST 2019

W5SFA members,

-----Original Message-----
From: ARRL Members Only Web site
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2019 3:45 PM
To: dan at dandlfarms.com
Subject: West Gulf Division Newsletter January 2019

West Gulf Division Newsletter January 2019

                 A special message from your Director

“Everything that the ARRL undertakes must be 100% for the general
good.  That policy bred loyalty and confidence.  With those two things
an organization can proper forever.”
                                 Hiram Percy Maxim , September 1927 QST.

History.  I joined the ARRL Board in 2000 as Vice Director after Jim
Haynie, W5JBP, was elected President and Coy Day, N5OK, moved up to
Director.  That is nearly twenty years ago!  I never thought that I
would spend nearly twenty years on the ARRL Board.

Legislation.  During those years many things have happened in the West
Gulf Division (WGD).  Positive things that have improved the status of
all amateur radio operators.  One of the most important  improvements
apply to those living in Homeowner Association’s properties all
because of an active legislative agenda that was started while I was
Vice Director, thanks to the approval of Coy Day, and continued after I
became Director with the assistance of my Vice Director, John Stratton,
N5AUS.  Hundreds of man hours and inches of shoe leather were expended
by the WGD’s Legislative Team and, even with those sacrifices, the
WGD’s legislative agenda would not have been successful without the
support of you, the member.  When you were asked to contact your
legislator, you did so immediately and enthusiastically.  Whether the
mission was to support legislation or, often more important, to kill
legislation, you were there.  Don’t be surprised if you are asked to
help again during this year’s legislative session.  Remember, whenever
the legislature is in session, we are all at risk! HI HI

Hamfests and Conventions.  I have attended many dozen over the years and
I wish I could have attended more.  Amateur radio operators are
revitalized at hamfests and conventions where forums have replaced flea
market tables and Lifetime Learning has become the standard and there is
so much to learn.  The knowledge base for amateur radio has expanded
exponentially and amateurs are actively seeking knowledge to effectively
utilize the new technologies, especially the digital communication
modes.

Technology.  JT65, FT8, D-Star, Fusion, DMR and P25 today and who knows
what will pop up tomorrow or the next day.  Literally, there is no limit
to where amateur radio can go with digital technologies in the future.

Volunteers.  Without volunteers, the ARRL would fail.  If you hold an
ARRL volunteer position or if you are a club official, thank you for
your service.  If you are not either today, volunteer tomorrow and keep
amateur radio strong.  Like the Marines, the ARRL always needs a “few
good men”.  The WGD has a rich history of volunteers doing a great job
to keep amateur radio healthy and secure.

Friends.  I have made so many and none of those acquaintances would have
been possible had I not been a Vice Director and Director.  I am truly
blessed with good friends and good memories.

But.  After twenty years, it is time for me to move on.  At the end of
the ARRL Board meeting, January 19, I will retire as Director and John
Stratton, N5AUS, will move up to the Director position.  A candidate is
now being vetted to serve as John's Vice Director and an announcement
should be forth-coming in a few weeks.   Thank you for your support,
your assistance, your friendship.

I promise I won’t forget you if you don’t forget me.  We made
history together and the future is ours to create.  Thanks to all!

Good DX with no QRM

73

David, K5RAV

ARRL West Gulf Division