[W5SFA] General License

Dan White vec at w5sfa.org
Wed Aug 7 20:01:01 CDT 2013

Yes, I posted your call on the club site this afternoon.

I prefer Yaesu for HF.  Just like the layout of the controls better.  Get a radio big enough to see all of the buttons, knobs and switches.

Astron is a good power supply.  Switchers are lighter and draw less power (heat).

G5RV is good but I like a plain dipole the best.  If you slope it, one end at 5' and the other at 20' or so you will cover the band quite well.  With a dipole you will need more than one as they are tuned for a specific center frequency.  I have a 5 band remote switch box.  You feed it with one coax and then a coax to each antenna.  I use an 80m and 40m antenna for the low bands and a beam for the rest.

Austin ARS is a good supplier as you can go look at the equipment and take it home.  AES and Texas Radio (Dallas) are the second best.

Please use the club reflector for questions to the group.  You will get all kinds of opinions.  You are welcome to come see what I have as well as Cameron's.

If you want to make a road trip to Austin I am sure someone would go along for the ride.

Dan, W5AOV